So it was Halloween time and my husband and I were picking out candy for the trick-or-treaters we expected. We came across a bag of Take 5 bars…a favorite of mine that I had forgot about. The chocolate..the caramel…the hint of peanut butter and of course the pretzel crunch..all rolled up together. So of course I was enjoying one of my recently remembered favorites and I got to thinking these flavors would be great as a cookie bar…but how to do it?
Well it took me a couple weeks to put all the pieces together but I finally did. This is what I came up with….
I took my mom’s chocolate cookie recipe and took out the chocolate chips and replace them with Nestle Tollhouse Delightfuls that are filled with peanut butter. Hint of peanut butter…check.
The next challenge was the nougat..how to duplicate without over powering. I thank my husband for the idea of using marshmallow creme. Next layer was the chocolate and pretzel. I decided to melt the chocolate and cover the pretzel and layer into on top. Finally I topped it all off with caramel drizzle. Nougat, chocolate, pretzel, caramel….all check!
I assembled it all and chilled in the fridge…so here was the moment of truth….testing a little bite. I have to say it was a pretty good balance of all the flavors. I might tweak a few thing in further batches but I took these to my work and they were a huge hit!
So here is the recipe:
- 1 C Butter(2 Sticks)
- 1½ C Packed Brown Sugar
- 2 Eggs
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 2½ C Flour
- 1 Bag Nestle Tollhouse Delightfuls
- Peanut Butter Chips
- ½ C Marshmallow Creme
- 5-6 Regular Size Chocolate Bars
- 1 C Crushed Pretzels
- Caramel Sauce for drizzling
- Cream together butter and sugar.
- Add eggs, salt, soda, and vanilla
- Mix in the flour and then the chips
- Spread in a 9x13 pan, pressing into the pan making an even layer
- Baked at 350 degrees for 12-15 mins or until done in center
- Let cool ( put in the fridge if needed)
- Take chocolate bars and break into pieces and melt. Take the pretzels and crush in bag into smaller pieces
- Cover pretzel pieces in melted chocolate and set aside a minute
- Once pan is cooled spread the marshmallow creme, use more if needed you want a nice even layer.
- Then spread the chocolate pretzel mixture pressing into the marshmallow creme.
- Drizzle caramel sauce on top and put in fridge for 1 hour to allow everything to set.